« Home | Welcome to TV Turnoff Network » | "I detest life-insurance agents; they always argue... » | Beginning artists » | True story: » | For why else are we here? » | Yup, we are » | lucy » | Elenchus. » | Cool stencil » | Blues » 

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 

Despite your political affiliation this is well written:

I am in no way attempting to begin a "political" discussion, just thought this was well written:

H a w s p i p e: Thoughts from the focsle: "Mission Statement:
So long as there shall exist, by reason of stupidity or naivete, a leftist condemnation, which, in the face of critical thought, irrationally propagates blame and vilifies a benevolent nation with sanctimonious commentary; so long as the three problems of the age - the degradation of morality by Chomsky, the ruin of patriotism by Sontag and the dwarfing of intellect by Michael Moore and Berkeley, California - are not solved; so long as, in certain circles, political asphyxia shall be possible; in other words, and from a yet more extended point of view, so long as The New York Times and The Guardian remain online, blogs like this cannot be useless."

I'm curious, as I often am, about the three "problems of the age." People say things as though everyone knows what they're talking about. I don't mean that as a criticism because I really believe there are people "out there" who know what he's talking about, and I too would like to know how Chomsky degrades morality, Sontag Ruins patriotism,(and I think I know what he means by Michael Moore dwarfing intellect because everyone loves to talk about that at BYU. They used to, anyway. The fad has largely passed).

Clarification? anyone?

I understand you didn't want to start a political discussion, I just want someone to explain better what he meant. Give me some background. You know what he's talking about, right cody? Fill me in.

Without wanting to start a kerfuffle on Cody's blog, I'll just say that "the degradation of morality by Chomsky" is reflected by the noted linguist's admiration of Pol Pot and "the ruin of patriotism by Sontag" is a reference to any one of her, in my opinion, anti-American essays.

By the way, the "Mission Statement" is actually a parody of the Preface to Les Miserables, my favorite novel. I only wish I could write as well as Victor Hugo. The Three Problems of the Age, according to the man himself, were "the degradation of man by poverty, the ruin of woman by starvation, and the dwarfing of childhood by physical and spiritual night."

Haws, thanks for chiming in and explaining yourself. I felt inadequate to do so, as though anyone can ever really explain someone else anyway. So thanks.

Yes, thanks, Haws. I'll just have to look into it more myself to understand better. And I'll look over your blog. I'm not so into current events right now, and I should be.

I have much more to say about this, and will write a real response later, but for the time being I think you might find it humerous that (even as a politics major) when I read the name "Sontag" I wondered, "What on earth does Brahms' art song have to do with patriotism?!" Wow. I've spent a little too much time in the Conservatory. :)

Good, mary. I look forward to your insights too.

Post a Comment