« Home | Monet » | I have been busy... » | French Girl » | Brookey » | It's here. » | Eureka Look » | Final Poll Results » | Happy grab your ankles day. » | Is it okay to think a computer is sexy? » | Poll » 

Sunday, May 08, 2005 

What I learned in nursing school...

Friday night I went to my brother Sam's graduation from nursing school. This was shared in one of the speeches. I REALLY like it:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain

AMEN!

AHHHH!! What's going on with the barefoot blog?

Doesn't that seem a bit selfish? Playing Devil's advocate here, is life really about just enjoying yourself and going on grand adventures for the sole purpose of personal internal gratification? Isn't there a bigger reason we're here? Here's one i like a bit better. In 100 years it will not matter how much money I made, what kind of car i drove, or house i lived in, but the world will be a better place because i made the difference in the life of a child. Is there a way for us to continue to expand ourselves and experience personal growth while contributing in the utmost to the humanity?

Anonymous 10:35- I think that is an excellent point, thanks for sharing you wisdom, I really appreciate it.

I'm not so sure this quote is about self-gratification, though I've been wrong before and will likely be wrong yet again today. If we would explore, dream, and discover could that not include "exploring" other cultures, "dreaming" of ways you can uplift another and "discovering" how your talents and abilities can improve the world. I think we do less because we doubt our ability to really make a difference. Or we're lazy. Or, or, or. Throw off those self-imposed limitations and doubts...discover life as it was meant to be...happy. When we are truly happy and enjoying all that life offers (the pleasant and the painful) others are drawn to us, to the "light". And that's a good thing. Yeah?

have you noticed frogbody.com blog's posting of this same quote?
the funny part of this quote is that it was at my graduation, and i never remember hearing it....i must have been a little side tracked..Ü

Post a Comment